9/21/2013

Member Spotlight: Terri Weldon

Terri Weldon
OCFW welcomes Terri Weldon to our Member Spotlight today.

Terri Weldon claims her regular life is really pretty mundane. She refrains from saying dull! Terri and her sister, Cynthia, share a house in the OKC metro area. They’re the best of friends and enjoy a lot of the same things.

Terri likes working in her yard. She has more flowerbeds than a sane person needs. She also enjoys reading and shopping for shoes, a habit she really needs to break. She has three dogs - a lovable mutt and two adorable Westies. Terri volunteers as the church librarian at St. Matthew UMC. She loves it – she actually gets to shop for books and spend someone else’s money. Plus, she gets to introduce people to Christian fiction.

Terri is a member of ACFW and RWA. Her novel, A Cry In The Night, was the runner-up in the 2010 Genesis Contest in the Romantic Suspense category. In 2012 her novel, 96 Channing Street, was a semi-finalist in the Romantic Suspense category of the Genesis Contest.


 --- An Interview with Terri ---


What do you write? 
Primarily, I write romantic suspense. I absolutely love reading romantic suspense, so it seemed natural for me to write that genre. However, there are times I write contemporary romance. Probably because I grew up reading Harlequin romances.

How long have you been a member of OCFW?
I’ve been a member of OCFW since its inception. I still remember how happy I was to receive the original email from Lacy Williams informing me a chapter of ACFW was being established in Edmond. It’s an amazing group and I’ve grown and learned so much from the members.

What's you're favorite part of the writing process?
My favorite part of the writing process is when that first gem of an idea comes into my mind. For me, that usually happens in one of two ways. Either my villain will ask a question or my heroine or hero will be on the run.

Have you entered any contests?
Absolutely! There are some great contests out there. I’ve entered the Genesis, Golden Heart, Daphne, Finally A Bride, and a few others. The Genesis is one of my favorites. I love that it divides Christian fiction into genres. Very few contests do that.

What’s the most important piece of writing advice you’ve received?
There are two pieces of advice that have really helped me. One – quit making your heroines so mean! I still have to fight that. I think in attempting to make my heroines assertive, they come across as mean. I’m really hoping it’s not a reflection on me! Two – show your reader the emotion your character is feeling. I strive to do this. I’m not always successful, but I try.

------------------------------

We hope you've enjoyed getting to know Terri. Be sure to look for her upcoming Christmas novella, Mistletoe Magic, releasing in November 2013.


18 comments:

  1. Great interview, Terri! So excited about Mistletoe Magic coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. Congrats on the upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tendency to make mean heroines, too. I want them to be real, but sometimes, I think they're a little too real. Or maybe they're too much like me. ;) Great interview. Can't wait to see your name on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - I always like your heroines. Thanks, I admit I'll be hyped when it shows up on Amazon.

      Delete
  4. Thanks guys, I'm excited about the release. And I'm not conquering my shoe addiction - 3 new pairs yesterday. They were so cute'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on Mistletoe Magic, Terri! And I promise that your mean heroines don't reflect on you. You're just an expert at getting into deep point of view. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the interview, Terri, and I'm very happy about Misteltoe Magic. I was fortunate enough to get a sneak preview and really, really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

      Delete
  7. Great Interview Terri- Excited to hear about your Novella Mistletoe Magic. Can't to read it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have been "Can't wait to read it..."

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jeremy, it will be interesting to get a male perspective of the story.

      Delete
  8. Terri, I LOVED your story! I'm so excited for you. Squeeze every last drop of enjoyment out of this. It won't be the one and only for long!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon - I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

      Delete
  9. Great interview, Terri! And I'm lining up with everyone else to read Mistletoe Magic. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete